One of the first projects we wanted to tackle when we moved in were the kitchen cabinets. When we bought the house, the cabinets that were a greyish, purple color. The previous owner had painted over the original builder grade oak cabinets. While we didn’t mind the color, they just weren’t our style. Here’s what the before looked like:
(Ignore Purrl…she’s just a curious cat)
I did a lot of research before starting this project. I had painted the cabinets in our previous home with paint the salesman at Sherwin Williams suggested. They turned out great, but it took FOREVER. This time I was looking for something that would give me similar results without all the sanding, priming, rolling (brushing with a brush in tight spaces the roller wouldn’t go), waiting on it to dry…you get the picture. That’s when I stumbled upon a Benjamin Moore brand called Advance.
It was about $50 for a gallon, but since everyone on Pinterest swore by it off we went to our local Benjamin Moore store. With this paint, it says you don’t necessarily have to sand or prime whatever you are painting. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have sanded, just to rough it up a little, and put on a layer of primer.
Our first step was to take down all the cabinet doors and faces to the drawers. Ours screwed right off…but I know the drawers on our last house did not so I ended up having to take the whole drawer out to paint which was a hassle. It was a lot easier this time just taking the faces off. We then numbered the faces and took them out to the garage to begin sanding.
After we were done sanding we used the air hose to try and get some of the dust off and then wiped them down with a damp cloth and let them dry overnight. We started this project on a Sunday afternoon so by the time we got done with all that it was about 10 pm and we were ready for bed.
The next day after work we started the next phase—we set up the garage so that we could get the most cabinet doors on the tables for spraying them.
Curtis started spraying the first coat on the first side of the cabinet door.
Here’s the sprayer we used:
While he worked on this, I worked on rolling a layer on the cabinet boxes inside (after a few coats and seeing it wasn’t covering very well we decided to spray it). The next day, Curtis sprayed the next coat on the other side of the doors and we began working on taping off the cabinets inside so that when we sprayed it wouldn’t get over everything. Curtis found this stuff at Lowe’s called Tape and Drape. I’m sure a lot of people have heard of it, but I had only seen it on Pinterest and didn’t know what it was called. We taped the cabinet boxes and taped off the entry to the kitchen so it wouldn’t go elsewhere in the house.
Then, Curtis sprayed the first layer and we let it sit over night. The next night we sprayed inside again and decided after that it would be the final coat for the cabinet boxes. As for the cabinets outside we still had some work to do—the dry time is the longest part! We eventually got everything sprayed with a few coats and then we waited for everything to dry.
In the meantime, we wanted to buy some hardware for the drawers and doors. I found the ones we decided to go with on Amazon. They arrived a few days later and were just what we wanted.
Once everything dried we worked on putting the doors and drawer faces back in their rightful place attached the hardware. We are absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out. Eventually we would like to do a new back-splash and white Quartz counter-top. The granite is nice, but the black is so hard to keep clean!!
Here’s a few after pictures:
Thanks for reading!! On to the next project…..